Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Bring Back NFL Action Team Mates

Call me crazy, even immature...at 38 I am probably too old to be begging someone out there to reproduce the NFL Action Team Mates that Pro Sports Marketing put out from 1977 - 1980 and only offered thought Sears and JC Penny catalogs.
  I was fortunate enough to have had a couple of them as a young guy and I played with them endlessly, ALL the time. So much so that when they quit making them I turned to G.I. Joes and only collected them to play football with them.... I mean what a geek right?
The damned thing of it is, I had a lot of friends as a youth and when my buddies would come over, we'd play football games against eachother using G.I. Joes. What a bummer it was when I found out I could no longer get the Action Team Mates. They were Mego sized and the Joes were a bit smaller and easier to travel with but lacked the coolness of what was offered with the Pro Sports Marketing product.
  It blows me away that with the popularity of the NFL nowadays a similar toy is unavailable for young kids, shoot even collectors. We are offered a fairly neat figure that McFarlane puts out but it does not move and is only a collectable, not a toy. I wish that I knew of an investor willing to take a chance on a guy with an idea and no budget what so ever. They would fly off the shelves. A few years back someone tried to make a fully poseable football toy like I am speaking of but it failed because they tried to make it too poseable, too many moving joints. It was too small, the ability to customize it with numbers wasn't there and the helmet looked lame. I honestly believe that the Action Team Mate would do well (Sell like a champ). Make it Mego sized, offer the customizeable numbers, don't make too many moving joints...be very similar to the original with a few modifications.
 It was a kick-ass toy and I know that the market is there. Especially for young boys and collectors. Sell the damned thing in every Wal-Mart and Target store in America, for like $6 or $8 bucks.
The NFL and it's Players union would most definately endorse the thing...I mean they would stand to make good money. There has got to be a way to bring this idea to fruition and capitolize on a strong NFL market that is only growing larger by the minute year in and year out!
You will have to excuse me if I am "blogging" incorrectly. This is my virgin venture into such a thing and I only decided to do so with the hopes of finding a person or people with connections to investors or even someone with the ability to take the idea and make it happen as I would LOVE to see these things remanufactured and this time brought to a much larger consumer base as like I said, before they were merely offered in a JC Penney or Sears catalog.
 The idea is a good one!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bottom picture is of the original idea, which I think with a few minor adjustments would be far more populare than that of the above picture, which is Playmakers and is a joke! Just look at the thing....his helmet, shit his head isnt even right..loks like a freakin pin head....way too flippin' many moveable joints, make the thing 7.5 inches tall like they were back then. Do shit right if you're gonna do something, that Playmakers job they engineered is a half-assed attempt, looks too ghey...Come on, someone out there has GOT to agree with me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish they would bring them as well, loved them as a kid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just letting you know there is an auction on ebay right now for 7 players (with rubber band rot) and the complete field. The bid is at $399.00 right now. The seller is sundance82 and the auction ends 10.21.15. Thought you might like to know.

    ReplyDelete